Tuesday, February 19, 2008

unicorn

I get nervous taking pictures at concerts because I always hear of photographers either getting pummeled by crowd members who don't like a camera blocking their view of the stage or of musicians who don't appreciate getting strobed sixty times point blank. Last week, a woman told me her and her husband went to a Mastodon show at Lenny's where a guy was using his flash point blank on the lead singer. In between songs, the lead singer told this guy to stop flashing him. The guy did not and the next time he took a picture the singer kicked him in the face, saying, I warned you. Since I haven't been injured at a concert since high school, I don't want to be that guy.

Luckily no one said anything and I got some mosh pit images without any elbows to the face. There are a number of dive bars up and down Ponce, but I admire the Unicorn. Anyplace where the bartender simply reaches into an open case of PBR when a customer asks for a beer is one for Zagat.