Friday, May 9, 2008

happy birthday

I found this balloon blowing in the evening light and though it was fitting with a recent obituary. I was saddened to learn that a local celebrity had passed away this week. Bill Hargrove, who last year became the world's oldest bowler, died in the hospital four days before his 107th birthday.

Though Hargrove lived in Clermont, he was a member of Grace United Methodist on Ponce. He regularly made the 70 mile route for Sunday services and was famous for participating in singing Happy Birthday annually on his birthday. I'm sorry to say I won't ever get to witness that.

From the obituary:

His daughter suspects, though, that his long life had more to do with what was in his heart than what was in his body.


"He was a standard-bearer for optimism," she said, "and I think that's what kept him in shape all those years."