Friday, October 16, 2009

roller derby revisted

Atlanta Roller Derby from Too Busy To Hate on Vimeo.



Several years ago I abandoned motion for stills and never looked back. Most people would consider that a regression. I didn't have anything against moving images, but the lure of small-scale production and nearly instant gratification (as opposed to days/weeks in an editing room) was a far more alluring prospect.

I started this blog as a simple alternative to the thousand-armed networking goliath of poorly reported updates, unnecessary information and banshee wails of narcissism. I wanted to post monochrome pictures from my neighborhood. I guess now is as good a time as ever to admit I was wrong. Mea culpa.

Video is a good tool and one I can't deny. That said, 98% of it out there is unwatchable. Hopefully I can produce things people can stomach before checking to see who has friended them.

I did a multimedia piece on the Atlanta Rollergirls last year during their games at the Yaarab Shrine. I went back to get video this year and tweak the project. It's not much, but I guess more than anything, it's an announcement that I'm going to try to embrace video, that bastard son I discarded so many years ago. Don't worry analog, I still love you.