Monday, March 31, 2008

floods



I read and read about the Georgia draught for many months. I thought it was odd to believe that we had to restrict our water and our lakes were drying up. I even received jabs from friends who thought our mayor was a religious kook who led a public prayer for rain (after meteorologists had already predicted it in the forecast). It wasn't until the local Cactus Car Wash put up a sign proudly proclaiming that they recycled all their water that it really hit home. My thought is that people never truly pay attention until something affects them directly, or more bluntly, interrupts their way of life. I don't wash my car and don't have a yard, unless you count the stoop where vagrants hide their used syringes, so I guess that's why the drought is not part of my routine.

In any case, most Atlantans truly believe that we've had plenty of rain in the past several months. I snapped this photo near the Taco Bell just after a recent downpour. The rain collected in the lot and remained there for days. With visual proof like that, I don't blame them. But the fact is that our biggest lakes are still way below their levels and the drought is still a reality. Most visitors are astounded to learn we still have a water shortage here in the city too busy to hate. The funny revelation is that most locals are too.

On a side note, I only took one photography class in my entire life. That might not come as a surprise to some people and may even explain a good portion of my pictures. The class is a vague memory, but I do remember my photo teacher, Tim Janicke, reviewing my work and asking me if I knew why a particular photo I had taken sucked. When I answered no, he told me it was because there were no people in it. People and their actions or reactions are what make images interesting, he said. I was young and I tried to heed his advice. And so began a lengthy odyssey of always having people in my frame. Many years later, I still heed that advice but I don't apply it to every situation. However, in this instance, I agree that someone walking by would make this a more alluring image.