Friday, April 4, 2008

cuba libre

Another story I've tried to pursue is the influx of Cuban immigrants. I've heard rumors that the neighborhoods just north of Ponce between Piedmont Park used to be a common location for new arrivals from Cuba in the 60's and 70's. The two Cuban restaurants there are a good indicator, but I can't find much real evidence.

I interviewed a first generation Cuban-American a couple weeks ago. He spent several years on Ponce but could not confirm the neighborhood history. He knew of many Cuban nationals who regularly met in the northern parts of the city but none in the Midtown-Highlands area. My best bet at this point is to try and hit up the restaurants and see if anyone can lend me a hand. If anyone else has info about the Cuban neighborhood history, drop me a line.

I'm still trying to work the kinks out of my voice recorder. My hope is to have an audio slideshow up next week by breeding good old film with digital technology. Somewhere George Eastman is rolling over in his grave.