Saturday, September 27, 2008

shortages

This is a common site in Atlanta.

Gas stations have no gas. They designate empty status by removing the numbers from the signs and/or covering all pumps with plastic bags. When a fuel truck does arrive, there's a mad rush and lines form. Within a few hours, panic sets in and the station is back to being dry.

Weeks after the hurricanes struck the oil distribution in the gulf, we still have massive shortages. I tried to find a station to show the lines of desperate motorists, but the only one was miles away from Ponce.

I go to work and all anyone can talk about is finding a pump. They don't care about prices or wait times. They just need a little petro to get them through the next few days. Last week we were suppose to be over this and now most stations will restrict your total to $50 or less. Driving an eight-cyclinder SUV, that will buy you less than half a tank.

Our beloved Governor cites “self-induced" panic while still claiming there is ample supply with the city. The local gas magnate blames Sonny Do. The finger pointing continues while people shit themselves at the prospect of dying on the interstate. Frustrations are peaking. If it wasn't for the distraction of college football season, I'm positive Atlantans would be disemboweling each other in the streets.

My goal is no vehicle for the next three days. Run when I could walk, bike when I could drive. I keep my fingers crossed that some sanity will return next time I have to turn the ignition.