Wednesday, January 7, 2009

fog

I didn't have long, maybe an hour or so. The city had been overrun by mist for hours and I finally had the time to try and capture it.

It wasn't late, sometime after sunset, but the streets were barren. I trekked into the blackness and got lost. How does a city with 5 million feel so empty and silent?

I walk into the trees and there is nothing. On the fringes, cars pass and figures walk from convenience stores to corners. I'm noticed but no one approaches. This is a first.

I guess my exposure and wind off a few frames. The mist is dense but that doesn't make it any easier to replicate. I'm lucky if these turn out at all.

Any other time there is shouting. There are car horns. There is music and arguing and crashing and sirens and gunfire and crying. There are the sounds of people living and dying.

My hand crank stops and I'm out of film. I didn't bring extra rolls. That's usually my cue to leave, but I walk slowly, savoring the mood. It's a rare occurrence and I want to enjoy it. The incredible sense of solitude in the heart of the beast.